Sunday, January 6, 2013


Address on Teachers’ Day Celebration (2nd May 2012)
I feel so warm and honored to stand here today. Like Lewis Carroll, I feel, time has come for me:
    “to talk of many things;
Of shoes – of ships – and sealing wax –
Of cabbages – and kings –
And why the sea is boiling hot –
And whether pigs have wings.”
However, time is so precious. In the interest of time, I will speak only few important points and leave the rest. Anyway, I pray that I do not get carried away by the whirlpool of my own thoughts in the process.
In my 14 years of teaching service, I have been in different schools in various capacities, have celebrated the days, much honored with words of praises, but my heart remained empty. Frankly speaking, today, my longing heart is filled till its brim by your smile, your sincere thoughts and your pure love.
The way one does itself passes a lot of messages to us. This unique preparation for the celebration has made me believe that you all have done it with real feelings for the teachers from deep within your hearts. This touches our heart and transforms us to thinking better, concerning, loving and reflective human beings.
Other thing speaks of your respect for teachers. Last time during our school rimdro, Venerable Lam Naten told us ‘to respect our superiors for one day when we become somebody ourselves, everything would happen as we do it to our superiors now.’ Three days back, HE Jangtruel Y Rimpochhe also taught us the law of karma – action and reaction. If we do good we accrue good merit and vice versa. I feel that this ‘respect’ is a long chain that binds us to God. You respect us, we respect our masters, our masters respect their masters and ultimately the ones at the top would have drawn their inspiration from God. Thus, we are bound to God.
Obviously, when we are with God, it is impossible not be inspired, and not get anything out of Him. We will get everything we want.
I keep telling you that we are GNH students and that we should live by GNH principles and philosophies. ‘Tha Damtse’ is one philosophy of GNH. Law of Nature or Uncertainty of Life does not permit us to live together forever. We must part. But, we must not forget the time, things we had done together once. We must not forget to wish at least ‘hi’ or ‘hello’ even if we meet elsewhere. That is ‘Tha damtse’. It is my proudest moment to see our friends from Sherubtse College with us today. They have come crossing miles sacrificing their precious time and energy to celebrate this august moment with us. This is ‘Tha Damtse’. I thank all of them for finding time to look back to remember us. However, I need not welcome them. They know, it is ingrained in their bones that this school is their permanent home. They can come in and go out anytime. But, at least today, please do enjoy the moment with us in the same rhythm as we do.
In my school days, I have always considered my teachers as rationale being – social thinker, torch bearer – the ones who shows light through darkness, guide – who gives detailed information of everything, trouble handler – who takes us out of troubles, light giver – who shows the path to our destination, and all-knowing – knowledgeable.
This morning, I got lots of SMS from my ex-students. One of them wrote, ‘teachers can easily substitute an actor, but an actor can, in no way substitute a teacher.’ Another wrote, ‘Batter than a thousand years of diligent study is a moment together with great teacher.’ That is what a teacher is. You have known who a teacher really is. Thanks for that.
What I believed about my teachers came to be true. What I am now is all because of my forth coming, warm-hearted and caring ‘Gurus’. Today, in this august gathering, I take a moment to thank all, living as well as the ones who left for their heavenly abode. I pray for the long life and the peace of mind respectively.
It is needless to mention how auspicious today’s day is. The culmination of three important events; His Late Majesty, Third Druk Gyalpo’s Birthday, Sherig Century Celebration and Teachers’ Day are all the reasons. On top of it, in our school, spices have been added by the presence of our staff members with their ever ready cultural programs, presence of Sherubtseans and CE candidates with their items as well.
To usher the moment of joy, without making you all become impatient any longer, I join my hands with all Sherubtseans, CE candidates and all my dear boys and girls here, in expressing my special happy teachers’ day to all teachers and support staff members of our school. HAPPY TEACHERS’ DAY!
May you all and your good deeds continue till eternity!
May your hearts remain green forever!
May you get strength to lead our youths forward!
May your wishes get fulfilled unconditionally!                                     
                                                  Thanks and thank you all so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment