Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dawn till Dusk

Early in the morning I get up, brush my teeth, and go to my altar to make water offering on normal days and to light butter lamps as well on special occasions. In doing so I always chant ‘Baza Guru’ though I do not know any other prayers by heart. Next I go to the kitchen, prepare tea and if I have lesson to prepare I do that. Otherwise I open my laptop and do something with it.
As I have to take medicines, I do not skip any meal. After breakfast, I come to school to start assembly and begin classes. Though most of the time, assembly passes without my comment, yet sometimes, good things that deserve praises as well as something unpleasant that needs public denouncement propel me to speak. My day begins; conducting short meeting, seeking suggestions, and making informal talks with my colleagues.
I get my period either in second or third period. Prior to my lessons, to energize or to seek attention, I talk to my students for about 5-10 minutes. The topic I share varies. It is not related to the topics that I teach as part of the class. I talk of values like the need to respect time in life, abiding by the sense of punctuality, having the feeling of patriotism, practicing driglam Namzha, observing Bhutanese etiquette everywhere, and commenting on the recent developments in school and many more. Class starts by observing short silence. As far as I am concerned, I am feeling that my class is getting lively and interactive. Many students tell too. However, I do not know for sure. I do not have documentary film or statistical data to support my assumptions.
Unless we have other special programs, my school time ends by 3.45 pm bell. I go home. I engage myself in helping my wife with gardening work when she has her work in our kitchen garden. I have to engage myself in some ways otherwise I become restless. If not in the kitchen garden, I have to either pick a book and read it with pillow under my neck, or watch news channels in the TV, or go round school campus or take a peaceful nap. That has to be done. It has become my routine.
At 7.00pm, I listen to BBS news. At 8.30 pm, I watch Hindi serial till 9.30 pm. There ends my day.
It is good, I am doing something. But am I doing what I am supposed to do. Have I come just for those programs? Have I not been sent to practice the teachings of Lord Buddha? Falling hair making head bald or hair turning grey on my head is apparent. Am I ...not... getting late?        

No comments:

Post a Comment