Saturday, May 11, 2013

Eyes that See Difference


I cannot see and imagine how mesmerized and perturbed the man in eighties would be, seeing the mark changes in various natural phenomena. Comparatively, I must say, I have seen the world just half of what a man in eighties would have seen. Even so, in my late thirties, I cannot recount everything that I saw. It does not in any account point out at my short memory. It is only because I have been witness to thousands of changes flashing over me. However, I am taken hostage by a few striking moments. I cannot afford to conceal it. I shall reveal the whole accounts through the following paragraphs.
Gone are the days where we used to see everything green, pleasant and perfect. I get heart ache when I think of all those glorious moments. It is disturbing to learn about drastic climatic change in the recent years. It has become synonymous with the mood of a person. Who can predict how a mood of a person would be? It would prove the one predicting it to be foolish. It is unpredictable. Sunshine in the mornings could not be expected to glorify the azure sky till evening. By noon, clear sky gets filled with dark cumulous clouds, tranquil surrounding gets distracted by reverberation of lightning and thunder, dry land made slippery by rain water, empty gorges made invisible by flash flood, stable land made prone to erosion and landslides. Winter becoming warm, early summer unusually cold and snowy, and untimely excessive rain-are the serious disorder we are compelled to witness.
Natural calamities are other moody, fickle-minded, unpredictable phenomena. It comes and disappears taking lives with it. If we switch our TV set to news channels, we cannot keep our ears shut from hearing the news of mass destruction to both human and buildings and eyes closed from seeing the sight of destruction and grieving families of the victims. As many times you watch news, you would catch that many glimpses of painful sight. In addition, we hear of aplenty calamities which were not much heard. Frequency of its occurrence has become rampant. Earthquake, tsunami, landslides, flashfloods, wildfires, windstorm, heavy snowfall, and extreme radiation of sun rays sufficient enough to kill people and animals have become the talk of the day. It is not the talk of a particular place; it has become the common topic of discussion throughout the world. Many international bodies came together several times in several places like Brazil, Copenhagen, New Delhi and even in Thimphu to address this climate change. But because of the greed of human beings, none of it ever reached matured consensus. Developed worlds came with their philosophies and developing world came up with their own philosophies. In essence, each one of them asserted the points that may satisfy their need and greed.
Day by day, people become more desirous. If it is for them to get, they would not mind planting bombs, destroying properties and taking precious lives. Family members do not mind breaking family vows, family prayers and family bonds. Worst example of this is son and father fighting a case in the court of law. This is the height of the worst thing in the world. Where is the existence of tha-damtse lay-jungdey then? What can we say about friendship? Does anybody value friendship? If there is no family bondage, I do not think there is bondage among friends.  I respect exception. My present opinion is not to offend any particular person. I have written this to draw thoughts from both types of readers.
Driglamnamzha, the Bhutanese etiquette, which was once deeply rooted in every citizen, is fast eroding. It has, if I may say, reached the last stage of its course. Our unique ghos and kiras became humble refugee in the office-goers during office hours and school families during school hours. Others wear it under compulsion. A few others may be there who enjoys wearing it. I am not overlooking them. In my ensuing words too, I have not forgotten an exceptions. Subordinate respecting their heads was once sacredly regarded. Now, this treatment is dwindling. Subordinates, may be out of inquisitiveness, do not hesitate to question heads though they know coherently what actually is the crux of the matter. Many heads, in turn treat subordinates with contempt. Both indulge in business where both will not have gain. Little bargain, keeping egos aside, would make both winners. I do not enjoy movies. I feel the life movies that I watch far surpass the fictitious movies screened in the halls. Mayan civilization talked of apocalypse. I feel they were right in one way. Sooner or later, I feel, my mind’s compass is pointing towards the direction pointed out by them. If there is no respect between son and father, teacher and taught, and heads and subordinates, how we can save our earth. Our precious time would be consumed in a race for supremacy.
Patriotism, I may be lope-sided to comment, but I feel people get insufficient time to ponder upon this indispensable topic. They are engrossed in serious business, that multiply their trade partners, bombard existing wealth, design thoughts that ensures their living and others’ extinction, and invention of rocket that can penetrate through the layers of atmosphere to Mars (our dream world).I only hear the receding sound of people talking of patriotism. If asked, I am sure, people willing to die for country would have become less numerous. If good values erode at this alarming rate, a time may come, sooner than expected, I fear, that a soldier may question why he should go for war. Isn’t it something that requires immediate attention?
No matter what emergencies withhold our attention, we must come together to rescue all the old values, that kept our society mutually bound and safe together, from sliding down the drains. We are in the transitional period where we see changes taking place. We are presently in the right location from where we can easily reach those values. Should we try to retrieve, revive our old good values, this is the right time. Once it merges with the sea where the values of other countries have inundated, I see very less chance of retrieval. Lamenting then would seem like crying over spilt milk!
If we feel, we are being punished for sins accumulated over years; let us repent, undergo penance, try to cleanse it by appeasing God. Let us join hands of piety in our attempt to hold the wrath and retribution of Gods against mankind. It is never too late to begin good work!    
                               
  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment