Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Introduction


Chapter I
 Introduction
A boy named Zangpo Lodhen, who can well be described as shy and humane, once studied in Sherubtse College. He was known among his friends as a person with purity of heart. Being in Sherubtse, he had seen flashing of different seasons. Most of the time in his initial days, he enjoyed fresh aromatic evening air nearby Dantak area, chirping of different birds above Degree Hostel (DH) II, shout of cheers and victory in the football fields during monsoon tournament, and bathing in the pool of knowledge in resourceful library almost alone. However, in his later life somebody named Trashi Dema accompanied him in every sphere of his life. Since their encounter, Zangpo Lodhen considered and respected Trashi Dema as perfect being. Zangpo Lodhen was studying in First Year English Honours in Sherubtse College. Trashi Dema was studying in class VIII in Jigme Sherubling High School, Khaling. Only during summer breaks and winter vacations, Trashi Dema used to come home to meet her parents.
How Zangpo came across Trashi Dema was a result of twist in the story. Let me narrate this true story. It may not engage you meaningfully. Yet, here it is. The story that I am going to narrate was of the year 1996. I am going to give detailed account of the story in first person.  
Never did I think that fate would bring two strange souls, separated by many mountains and gorges, staying in different places, closer. But fate did. When I was studying in First Year Degree, I saw a young lady, attractive particularly her eyes and the way of talking. Those qualities made her very unique from other girls. She was working in our library as temporary librarian. I was by nature, simple and shy young man. However, I was not devoid of human feelings of love. On my very first sight of her, I had feelings which I could not explain it to myself. I was haunted by strange feelings day and night. I was shy to talk to my friends about what had happened to me. I was internally worried that my friends might mock at me and embarrass me by calling me romantic fool. I let off the idea of sharing this development with my friends but decided to find out something about her secretly. I succeeded in discovering that she was the daughter of a caretaker of the college. I felt fortunate. That caretaker was known to me because that caretaker happened to be the friend of my father when he was serving in Royal Bhutan Army long time back. I already made my introduction to caretaker who in turn invited me to his house several times.
I thought time was ripe for me to pity my own state and help myself. I thought she might become apple of others’ eye if I did not act early. So, I summoned my courage to talk to that young librarian who disturbed me all day long and became substance of my dreams at night. One day I deliberately asked the help from that young librarian to look for one particular book. She was so soft at heart. I knew clearly that she cannot refuse any help to anybody. So, as expected she gave her helping hand to me willingly. In the process, I could initiate some topics for conservation with her. To take advantage, I did mention to her about our parents who were good allies once. She finally invited me to her house as done by her father. I was waiting for that offer for so long and upon hearing I became so impatient. I did not wait to give second thought but decided to go and see her in her house.
Obsessed by passion, I forgot everything about myself. I forgot to think why I was going to meet her, what I would tell her parents, won’t I feel shy and what I would tell her when I first meet her in her house. Oblivious of these facts, I proceeded as decided in rash. I met her in her house. Her parents were not at home. She was with her only brother. Her brother was little more than one year. He was distinct, talkative, and well disciplined.  From my very first meeting, I got different impression of her brother. He was behaving like a matured person. She told me that her brother never fails to offer place to sit to any stranger or visitor to her place despite being young.  I was also asked to sit very courteously. That was really impressive. However, I came to observe some problem with his eyesight. He had to make his eyelids and pupils small and bend his neck to look and recognize person at a distance. Reasons remained unknown and hidden to me till I became very close to his family. Anyway, this is not that important and it concerns very less in relation to my purpose of visiting his home.  
Little later, I was offered a cup of hot tea by his librarian sister. Through our subsequent talks, I came to learn that her name was Sonam Yangchen and that she had three younger sisters namely Trashi Dema, Sonam Lhaki and Yeshi Cheki. The youngest among them was a son and he was called Nyingpo. Sonam Yangchen completed her ISCE - X and was waiting for her result. In those days, our country did not have examination board of our own. We had to depend on Delhi Board, India for our examinations. ICSE is the short form of Indian Certificate for Secondary Examinations. In the mean time, Trashi Dema completed her class VIII and Sonam Lhaki completed class VII from Jigme Sherubling Higher Secondary School. Yeshi Cheki was studying in Kanglung Primary School.
Their father was from Lhuentse and mother was from Trashiyngtse. After their father’s retirement from arm force, they bought one small plot above Dantak Camp and settled there. They were residing there temporarily. They did not own sufficient land and at the same time they were not opulent. To describe in the true words, they were humble settlers. They simply had a small bungalow to cover their bodies against cold, protect them from scorching heat and shed them from beating rain. But, they never had big desires and their hearts were wholly contented.   

No comments:

Post a Comment