Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How I met Delker


Chapter V
How I met Delkar
It was there in Namla I met a woman named Delkar. She was a divorcee and had a daughter.  I thought I would make friend with her so that I can forget Trashi Dema. I went to her place and spent one whole day with her. I drank alcohol which she offered to me. I did not know how much gallons of alcohol I drank. I did not also know how the sun had gone beyond the mountain that day. When I woke up, came to sense, I found that I was enveloped by darkness. At around 9.00 pm, I got thoroughly relieved from the influence of alcohol. Though it was late, I decided to go to hostel. However, she prevented me by saying that I could spend the night at her place since it had become dark. I insisted on going when she was adamant on holding me back. In what I would like to call a tug of war between us, she won ultimately. I stayed back. She was alone at home. Her daughter had gone to her relatives’ place to study.
We spent the night together. In the morning, before I left her alone, she came to me and asked me to come again. I promised her that I would come to her frequently. Five days after spending a night with her, I went to meet her again. She was alone. We had a talk on various topics. In the midst of our conversation, I happen to ask whereabouts of her daughter’s father. She narrated me the story about how they met and how he left her behind forever with a daughter in her womb. I also came to know that he was one ex-collegian. As we became intimate over time, she told me whether I also won’t leave her. I promised I won’t betray her.   
In the mean time, I could not forget my old house and parents as I expected. I went to meet them occasionally. During one visit, mother asked me whether what she heard about Delkar and my affairs were true. I denied it saying that she had heard the wrong story. She told me that I must not think of having affairs with her. She warned me that Delkar was much older than me. Mother told me that as she had true motherly feelings for me and that she wanted happiness for me. When I was with mother I thought I could forget Delkar. However, when I was near Delkar, I did not have courage to tell her that I did not like her and that I did not want to continue my relationship with her. In that manner, I got torn in between several thoughts: thought that Delkar was older than me, thought that I would be hurting Delkar if I stop to meet her abruptly. In that way, my relationship with Delkar continued.
One spring when I returned for my last year’s course, I came to hear that she had miscarriage of my child and that she nearly died in the process. I heard this from the persons nearby her. On the other hand, other persons away from her told me that nothing of that sort had happened to her. She had designed that story with the deceptive intention to trap me and keep me with her forever. Whatever, the story may be I met her once after my graduation. It became possible when I came to attend my convocation in 1998. After that I could not meet her personally. Only time I heard about her was while I was there at Samtse for my PGCE course. She felt betrayed and that she happened to talk to others that she would report the matter to court. I took that seriously. I found ways to inform her that I would be remitting Nu 10,000/- and that there was no reasons for her to report the matter to court. After that I remember having remitted Nu 2000/-.
I am guilty for not being able to give her Nu 8000/- more as I promised. Whenever, I move through Namla I expect to see her. But I failed to see her till this day.
I can vividly recollect and rate her. I know she was a generous person. She fed me with everything she had while I was studying at Sherubtse. There is no denying the fact that I enjoyed everything with her: food, shelter, and time. My time with her was one of the best times in my life. Though I failed to help her in my life, yet I do not forget her in my prayer and will not forget her as long as I live. I hope, she will have comfortable life and hope she will get good life after death. Her heart was generous and bountiful!






No comments:

Post a Comment